Soulful Meat Loaf
Servings 8 slices
- 1 19 oz can tomato basil soup divided [ie Progresso]
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp prepared yellow mustard
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 medium red green or yellow pepper diced
- olive oil
- 2 lb lean ground beef (90/10)
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 Tbsp prepared yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 tsp barbecue seasoning
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- To make the glaze: Mix together 1/3 cup soup, ketchup, brown sugar and 1 1/2 tsp mustard until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a standard baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a stove top pan, saute the diced onions and peppers in a few drizzles of olive oil until softened and translucent around 3 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste, then set aside to cool slightly.
- While vegetables cook, in a medium mixing bowl, mix together beef, Panko, 3/4 cup soup, buttermilk, eggs, mustard, Worcestershire, barbecue seasoning and pepper. Add cooked peppers and onions. Mix well.
- Using your hands, roughly form the meat mixture into a loaf shape in the bowl. Slide the loaf onto the center of prepared baking sheet.
- Pat the meat-loaf into an oblong loaf shape approximately 2 1/2 inches thick. It’s important to make the loaf proportional so it will cook evenly. Pour half of the glaze over the top.
- Bake for 55 minutes. Remove from the oven drizzle with remaining glaze.
- Return the meat-loaf to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Rest on the counter for 15 minutes before serving.